We often think that motivation is the key to achieving our goals. ‘If only I had more motivation’ we tell ourselves and use this as the reason why our goals didn’t happen. Turns out it’s not motivation you need! We share some goal setting tips below to help increase your odds of successfully achieving your dreams.
- Write down your intentions – Have a plan that clearly states when and where you will work on your goal. So instead of saying ‘I want to exercise more’, say ‘I will go for a 30 minute walk at 6am down at the beach’. Be clear about how you will make your new goal happen and when it will happen. What will work best with your schedule?
- Have a back up plan in place – If your set intention doesn’t happen, have consequences. ‘If I miss a walk, then I will do a 20 minute yoga workout at home’. Make this a non-negotiable. If you happen to eat fast food that day then make sure you eat vegetables for dinner.
- Replace not eliminiate – If you are prone to indulging in unhealthy habits, then it may serve you to find a healthier habit to replace it. Instead of quitting smoking, try a new habit like meditating instead. Instead of reaching for a tub of ice cream after dinner, have a couple of squares of dark chocolate with some berries.
- Track your progress – There are lots of apps out on the market that can help you make your new goal a regular habit and will even reward you for streaks.
- Be accountable – Share your goals with a friend to help you stay on track. Finding someone who has a common goal can help you during those times when life feels a little tougher. Online support groups can also help you feel less alone when those old habits want to sneak back into your life.
At the end of the day, making a plan that is clear, achievable and realistic will go a long way in helping you achieve your new health goals. Don’t forget to consult with your GP before making any significant health changes. We have some wonderful health related resources and tools that can help you achieve your goals and we’d love to help you on your journey.