Health and Nutrition Coach, Nicola Ruitenberg
This great salad from Reader’s Digest incorporates several great calcium sources including sardines, salad greens and almonds for strong and healthy bones! If you don’t like sardines, try this with canned salmon instead. Their edible bones make them a calcium rich substitute. Vegetarians can swap the sardines for calcium fortified tofu.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ small red onion, thinly sliced
4 cups of mixed salad leaves
1 red capsicum (cut into flat pieces)
1 yellow capsicum (cut into flat pieces
100g sardines in springwater, drained
¼ cup raw sliced almonds
Black pepper to taste
Juice and grated zest of 1 orange
- Preheat grill or pan to high.
- Put orange juice, zest and pepper in a salad bowl and whisk together. Continue whisking while gradually adding oil.
- Add onion and mixed salad leaves to bowl and toss to coat.
- Put capsicums on grill rack or fry pan and cook for 8 – 10 minutes. Turn several times until skin is charred and flesh is tender.
- Split sardines lengthwise and remove backbones
- Allow capsicums to cool. Stir into salad along with sardines.
- Scatter almonds over the salad and serve.