Looking for something to do with the kids these school holidays? Get them in the kitchen! While it can be messy, teaching kids how to cook is a fantastic life skill for them to learn.
Original recipe from Best Recipes.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tbs butter melted
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 bananas mashed
Sift self-raising flour and salt into a bowl.
Whisk in sugar, butter, eggs and milk until smooth.
Add mashed bananas and stir mixture well.
Heat a frying pan with a little oil or butter and pour batter to form small circles.
When pikelets bubble on top, flip and cook the other side until brown.
- To add a little extra nutrition, we suggest swapping the normal self raising flour for a wholemeal version.
- Try reducing the sugar to 1/4 cup or swapping for an unrefined sugar such as coconut sugar, rapadura, etc.
- To make this dairy free, use coconut oil in place of butter and swap the milk for almond or soy.
- Use very ripe bananas for a sweeter pikelet.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of chia seeds.
- Puree berries for an all natural topping.